- Your walls are textured or sanded (pre-treat the wall with joint-compound to smoothen the surface).
- If you recently painted your walls (wait at least 4 weeks before installing).
- Your walls are dirty or dusty, have mold or humidity spots.
- The wall paint is lifting off.
- Covering old wallpaper or other elements on the wall.
LOW VOC PAINTS?
Low VOC paints are amazing but unfortunately they are becoming a challenge for decal installations as they can cause the decals to fall off. The exact reason we don’t know since low VOCs formulations are protected by trade secrets. A simple solution for the problem is to clean the wall (recommended 2-3 times) with a mixture of 70% isopropyl alcohol and 30% water, let dry completely, and afterwards proceed with the decal installation. Some brands that offer low or no VOC (volatile organic compounds) are: Behr, Benjamin Moore, Rust-Oleum, Valspar, Safe Ecoat, Ecopaints.
Washing the wall with this mixture is not a bad idea if you are not sure about the type of paint on your walls.
Peel the Backing paper and paste to wall.
For those Decals that have a transfer paper, after the decals are on the wall you can remove the transfer paper.